PEO Sweets & Treats Sale
Christmas at the Courthouse
Jerauld County Heritage Museum Open House
SACC Chili & Pie Feed
Wessington Springs, incorporated in 1882, derives its name from the hills and the many fresh-water springs which flow from those hills. There are many legends regarding how the hills were named, the best-known being that of a trapper named Wessington who was captured by renegade Indians, tied to a tree and burned. That tree was located in what is now the city park.
The hills, with their supply of wood and water were well-known to early Indian tribes who often camped here, and to early trappers and traders who sought the game in the hills and gulches. In fact, the city park is located in an area which was designated as a neutral area, where different tribes and white trappers could meet to trade.
The first white family to establish a permanent home in what is now called Wessington Springs was the family of Levi Hain, who came to the area in 1876. His log cabin home was located near what is now the baseball field in the city park. Other settlers soon followed, liked the area, and began establishing homes. On May 26th, 1882 a plat for a new town was filed. The first building, a Methodist Church, was soon followed by businesses and a post office. In 1903, the railroad reached the town site and growth continued into what who we are today.
Festival of Tables
SDRA Foothills Rodeo
Click here for rodeo flyer
Game, Fish & Parks Family Outdoor Recreation Day
Annual Father’s Day Golf Tournament
Prairie Hills Art Show
W.S. Fishing Derby
Jerauld/Buffalo County 4-H Horse Show
Music In The Garden
Click here for MITG flyer
About Wessington Springs
Foothills Classic Car & Tractor Show
Click here to view/print registration form.
City-Wide Rummage Sale
4-H Achievement Days
SACOTA’s Fall Craft Fair
Pheasants Forever Banquet & Auction
Ducks Unlimited Banquet & Auction
Farm and Home Show
Copyright © Wessington Springs Area Chamber & Development Corporation
All Rights Reserved
(605) 539-1929 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Website Designed and Maintained by
Amber Kolousek Website Design